Saturday, March 14, 2009

It Takes a Village - A Virtual Village: Digital Mom

Times have changed since my mom gave birth to my siblings and me. Times have changed since I gave birth to my children. Today, women can open themselves to a global society of support and never leave home. I wonder if the internet has made us more secure in this age regarding our role as parents or has it made us more vulnerable. Is it possible for the caretaking parent to spend so much time on the internet that the real time work of parenting gets lost? We are living in an interesting period. Mothers are extremely busy and the workload has increased as the information age explodes and the economy tries our patience. A mother's sanity and connection to her children and outside support is so essential to the welfare of our communities. She is the hand that rocks the cradle and sets the tone for the future of so many lives. Will the virtual village be the place that enforces her strength in her role...or will this new village become too many hands on the cradle (or in the pot that spoils the stew)?




No comments:

Post a Comment